Monday, January 6, 2014

Sister Bond.

I think in life, there is nothing more important than family. You don't choose family but in some magical way, family seems to choose you. Not even one family in this world is perfect, they all have different flaws and problems. And because they're the people whom you feel closest to, sometimes it's quite easy to get mad at them.
But even through the hard times, at the end of the day they are the ones who've known you your entire life and whether you like it or not, they will be there for many years more to come. Maybe you don't get along with every single member of your family, there are bound to be some exceptions. But still, I don't think there is something as unique as sharing a laugh with your family at the Christmas dinner table. 

This brings me to the one person who has undoubtedly been there EVERY SINGLE TIME. My sister. Highs and lows, ups and downs, laughs and even some snide comments. She is my favorite person in the whole world. She's my best friend. And not only because I don't have to explain the situation I have with the new guy I like (she knows it by heart), but because we share a bond that is even beyond friendship. Sisterhood. It's even kind of psychic. 

My sister and me as little girls. I was always the weird one ha! (right).

We can honestly laugh for hours since we share the same kind of dry humor, but even though we may be very similar in many ways, our personalities differ even more. 

We're opposites in a lot of things and I think this makes our bond even stronger. There are times when neither one of us can stand the other and God, there are even some times I just want to slap her across the face. But she is also the only person I know that I can't stay mad for more than 10 minutes.
My sister (left) and me (right) in Las Vegas.

Our teenage years were perhaps the most difficult, being that we were both in them at the same time (my sister is just a year younger than me). But this last year, we grew closer as ever. And I honestly can't thank God enough for that. New traditions and memories added to the bunch of the ones we have collected through the years. 

Again, my sister (left) and me (right) in Las Vegas.

This year my sister starts college and she's going out of town for four years. This may be the biggest challenge we've faced when it comes to our relationship. I will miss her like crazy, I already do. Still, I am sure this will be a great learning experience for both of us and an opportunity to grow in ways we haven't until recently. Not to mention that every time we see each other now, every moment will be even more treasured. 

Recently, Disney released an animated film called FROZEN. It's about two sisters who lose their parents and realize they only have one another for the rest of their lives. The older sister has a magical ice power that she can't control very well, and for this people fear/dislike her. But her younger sister knows who she really is. 
Elsa (left) and Anna (right) the sisters in Disney's new movie FROZEN.

I have not seen this movie, but I just can't wait to watch it. It reminds me of my sister and me (and the ice power being like my illness.) 

Elsa (the older sis) and her ice power in the movie; which reminds me of my illness. 

Even though I haven't seen one single scene of the movie, I already learned every song (LET IT GO BY DEMI LOVATO? DONE!) and I think I even know how it ends. The reason I haven't seen it is because in Mexico, not a lot of small children speak English, so naturally the movie is in Spanish. But I'm not used to watching movies in any language other than English, so I'm waiting for the internet or (sigh) DVD release.

There are so many wonderful things about the relationship I have with my sister that I cannot possibly list all of them in one single post! She is kind of my life companion and I know I will always have her, and she will ALWAYS have me. 

What about you? Do you share special bonds with your siblings?

*kisskiss* - Adrienne. 

No comments:

Post a Comment